South Australia Specialist Immunisation Service (SIS)
Allergy Clinical Investigation Unit
Department of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
6th Floor, Zone B (Green)
Women’s and Children’s Hospital
72 King William Rd
North Adelaide SA 5006.
For parents and providers:
The SIS clinic operates on Tuesdays between 9am and 12 noon.
More information about the SIS is available on the SA Health website.
- A convulsion with or without a fever.
- Persistent and inconsolable screaming for greater than three hours.
- Collapse or shock-like state (hypotonic-hyporesponsive episode-HHE).
- Anaphylaxis or generalised skin rash occurring within six hours of immunisation
- Any other significant problem which is temporally related to immunisation and which is regarded as serious because it resulted in hospitalisation, disability or prevented the completion of the recommended immunisation schedule.
- Children who are considered to be at a high risk of experiencing an adverse reaction post-immunisation because they have an underlying medical disorder including any immunodeficiency disorder.
- Up-to-date detailed information and scientific literature on immunisation.
- In-depth, extended consultations with immunisation specialists (Clinical Nurse Consultant and/or Paediatrician) to discuss the benefits and risks of immunisation.
- Specialist support for children with special needs or needle-phobia.
- Vaccination under sedation (subject to medical evaluation).
- Supervised vaccination for children with complex medical conditions, for example children who are immunosuppressed, receiving chemotherapy, or have a history of anaphylaxis associated with vaccination.
- Discuss purpose of SIS consultation and the expertise of the medical staff.
- Offer referral if appropriate.
- Send referral letter to the Allergy Department by fax (08 8161 9295) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Contact Ms Nicole Turner to make an appointment either:
- by telephone (08 8161 8638), or
- by email (email@example.com).
- More information about referring a child to the Specialist Immunisation Service is available on the SA Health website.
- Referral letter addressed to Professor Michael Gold.
- Child’s Medicare card.
- Child’s Personal Health Record (Blue Book).
The SIS can advise providers on clinical issues related to vaccination. To access this service, call the Women’s and Children’s Hospital’s ‘Allergist on Call’ on 08 8161 7000.